Thursday, April 8, 2010

Washington Teachers are one step closer to a new contract


WTU - Images by Kristopher Connor

In a recent facebook post, I wrote that I think as a DC based photojournalist. We can become lost in the world wind that surrounds the national and international political news scene that makes up DC. Covering congressional hearings, Fed Reserve press conferences and the occasional white house event. Spending our days standing on podiums or sitting in a well with a dozen of our peers right beside us...waiting.
Every once in a while, I try to step away from this scene and go back to my days covering local news. A place where you have a chance to interact with your subjects, your not competing with photographers for that shot that you hope will make it inside the covers of Time magazine. I think of Robert Capa's saying "If your pictures aren't good enough, then your not close enough." A place where your right on top of your subjects and able to get those shots that are not capable with a telephoto lens.

This is the reason I got into photojournalism....

These images are from a recent press conference I covered about the tentative agreement between the Washington Teachers' Union and District of Columbia Public School System that was attended by the Mayor of DC Adrian Fenty, Chancellor Michelle Rhee, and WTU President George Parker.

No comments:

Post a Comment